Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we’re just getting started.
Facebook is looking for an experienced Corporate Communications Manager with a special focus on East Africa, to help lead our proactive and reactive efforts across the region.
The ideal candidate will be fluent in English (oral and written) and will have extensive experience in corporate and product communications, particularly in handling breaking news and daily issues. A knowledge of local governments and public policy is a plus. The need to be a self-starter is critical, with the maturity to offer strategic counsel to multiple business leaders and create communications campaigns that bring together strategy, creativity and flawless execution across a number of projects at once.
We are looking for a team player who is interested and passionate about Sub-Saharan Africa in particular East Africa, proactive and driven in nature, and is comfortable to work independently.
This position is full-time, location is flexible; preference for candidates to be based in Kenya.
- Lead and execute Facebook’s East Africa PR strategy, plans, programs and budgets based on reputational needs, sales objectives, policy risks and company goals.
- Work cross-functionally with policy, product, platform, monetization and other international PR team members to manage media opportunities and broader programs.
- Create campaigning platforms to proactively address Facebooks brand reputation and product challenges specific to Sub-Saharan Africa, and East Africa.
- Firefight daily company crisis’ and issues by effectively managing local media e.g. responding to reporters, drafting statements, correcting inaccuracies.
- Identify and pitch ‘good news’ stories about Facebook to deliver a steady pipeline of proactive coverage in key countries across East Africa.
- Provide comms counsel and support for business leaders.
- Prepare briefing materials and manage executive spokespeople during media interviews and at industry events.
- Educate press, bloggers, analysts and influencers about Facebook’s investment in Africa, relevant products and initiatives, and leaders at the company.
- Undergraduate or equivalent qualification is preferable
- Solid professional experience, in communications or journalism
- Extensive and well-established Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa media relationships
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver multi-Country campaigns and projects through collaborative and multi-disciplinary teamwork
- Proven ability to work with and influence a range of stakeholders
- Strong project management and decision-making skills
- Superb written and oral communications skills
- Fluency in both written and conversational English, and native fluency in Swahili and/or any other regionally relevant language, including Amharic or Kinyarwanda
- Ability to travel frequently throughout the region
- 5+ years professional PR experience, agency and in-house preferred
- Significant experience living and working in at least one country in East Africa required