Digital is changing everything about how consumer goods companies go to market.
Precision Marketing at Unilever does not mean creating niche, highly-targeted activities. Rather, it is the delivery of mass personalised communications, using multiple messages to increase relevance and impact amongst various sub-segments. It is founded on each market having a clear data strategy, with each brand having a clear audience segmentation strategy, and these being used to inform the creation of programmatic media campaigns with highly relevant and effective creative assets. Activities will be key drivers of data acquisition and eCommerce growth, while also re-invigorating brands’ equity. Over time this will lead to an increased emphasis on performance marketing and may -in some cases – lead to one-to-one marketing.
- During the first 3 months after opening, the Digital Hub lead will facilitate with key brands the creation of always-on Precision Marketing. Working with the multi-functional team to deliver:
- Data strategies, rolling up to a single Unilever strategy for that market. Markets will have clear 1st party data acquisition targets, with a view to driving better use of 2nd and 3rd party data for mass personalisation of their activities.
- Audience segmentation
- Asset briefs to ad agencies / U-Studio.
- Media delivery via Media team and its ULTRA programmatic platform.
- Performance campaigns, especially in collaboration with eCommerce and Media teams.
- Campaign metrics and measurement via PDC.
- In subsequent months the leadership role will become one of facilitation, gradually transferring responsibility (to the greatest extent possible) to brand teams, until brands are largely self-sufficient as Precision Marketers.
- Lead the creation and distribution of regular (at least fortnightly) of Unilever Precision Marketing Learning – gathered from all HUBS and shared across the marketing community.
- The Digital Hub Lead:
- Manages the HUB, ensuring it is populated and if full working order, including data streams on-screen from PDC, Media and other partners.
- Acts as the face of the HUB and Precision Marketing throughout the local operation and its marketing agencies.
- Is a driving force with PDC, behind the organisation’s overall Data Strategy.
- Works with brands/divisions to define and prioritise activities where Precision Marketing coffers the greatest business impact.
- Is comfortable working with a range of social and business data
- Work closely with other HUB leads, to share learnings and to drive best practice at speed.
- Identify cross-category or cross-market opportunities in Precision Marketing.
- E.g. the sharing of data or targeting opportunities relating to specific market segments.
- A/B testing of assets across awareness, demand and precision.
- Inflight optimization of assets across awareness, demand and precision.
- Ownership of analytics and KPIs. Identification, setting up, benchmarking, and reporting of these.
- Determining and reporting ROI for all investments made.
- Global Divisions: This South Africa role may require contact with our global marketing teams, based primarily in London, Rotterdam and Singapore.
- Market: The role will have local scope and deal with all brands in South Africa. Some activities, eg. support of a major piece of media content, may involve multiple markets.
- The job holder will be expected to prioritise Precision Marketing work for the wider fluid team, working with them and their functional leadership to ensure a joined-up approach.
- The job holder will be accountable to the market Leadership Team via the General Manager for the local delivery of the Data Strategy, Segmentation Strategies and Precision Marketing
- Relevant Degree or equivalent
- Passion for the social & digital world and its implications for business
- Minimum 5 years’ experience and superior knowledge in analytics, digital, programmatic, performance marketing or strategy consulting. This is an emerging role, so comprehensive experience of all these areas is not expected.
- Facilitation and capability building skills. Able to lead a significant change programme.
- Experienced project manager, particularly in terms of project planning, forecasting demand and managing human resource accordingly
- An excellent communicator with senior stakeholders, peers and reports (conversational and presentational)
- Experience working in an analytical role and comfortable using analytics tools.
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to understand and articulate customer needs in business and more technical vocabulary
- Experience managing relationships within a large, multinational, matrix organisation
- Experience working as or with marketing stakeholders/agencies and an understanding of their likely challenges and information requirements
- Experience working as or with Data Analysts (/Scientists/Designers), or a demonstrable understanding of the analytical mindset
- Experience briefing into a technical/specialist team with their own vocabulary / frames of reference
- Experience of social analytics or NLP tools
- Experience driving business value from consumer insight
- Experience co-ordinating the introduction of a new internal service or capability at a major organisation.
- Good understanding of the Ad Tech and Mar Tech space around Data Management Platform and Demand Side Platform